Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jehova Jireh...

...the Lord will Provide. Abraham gave this name to God after (as he was raising the knife to take his only son's life) the Lord provided a substitute ram for the sacrifice (Gen. 22:14). The most often used (in my opinion) form of prayer is petition...asking God to provide or do something; however, I don't think we always remember that even before we ask, God is well aware of our need and is more than able to provide.

I had an exciting reminder of that this past weekend! After getting everything paid I had about $20 left in my checking account to pay for groceries, clothes, etc. I had mentioned to Daniel that I was going to need more money soon, but I kind of hated to ask for more because I knew he had some bigger expenses coming up as well. However, just 2 days after that a totally unexpected check showed up, addressed to me, from the hospital! It was quite a large check, and I guess it was from the insurance company over-paying (as that has happened once before). I was so excited!! I hadn't even thought to pray about it yet, but even before it occurred to me to ask, the answer showed up! It made me feel a little ashamed that I hadn't brought that need to God, but I felt so loved to see His provision anyway!

I think we take so many things for granted in our lives that we fail to see the hand of God showering us with little blessings all along the way...it shouldn't take a big reminder like a large check to get us to stop and thank Him each and every day for His provision! I'm trying to be more attuned to that in my life now. :) Also, I think we need to be very sensitive to God's promptings to share our blessings with others in need..."Give, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." (Luke 6:38).

Here's a good goal...as you go about your life this week, purpose to find at least 1 thing every day that is the direct provision of God for some need in your life. You may think that sounds impossible, because God doesn't just drop $1000 dollar bills into your lap every day! However, I think if we really look, we'll be surprised to see how much God DOES give us!! :) Have a wonderful week of praising and thanking Jehovah Jireh!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Rachel! I love the name Jehovah-Jireh - He LOVES to give and WANTS to show Himself strong by providing in supernatural ways... we need only *ask*. Thanks for sharing that testimony, too; that's really cool!

    Glad to see this new endeavor of yours - I'll look forward to upcoming posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, Rachel! I am so glad you are headed in the right direction and that you use that knowledge to help other ladies be more Christlike. Enjoyed, and was challenged, by your posts. Aunt Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing this message a lot lately, and I'm glad! One can never be reminded enough that God WANTS to bless us. He WANTS us to succeed. I, too, try to find things each day that I consider a gift from God: I call them Valentines. =)

    This is a beautiful site, Rachel! Thank you for doing this!

    "May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit."

    ReplyDelete